Although there are some exceptions, the following criteria must be met before a candidate is accepted into the Lake Pointe Medical Center Weight-Loss Surgery Program for this surgical procedure.
· Candidate must be at least 100 pounds over the ideal body weight.
· Candidate must have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above in most cases. Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is an estimate of your body fat, based on your height and weight.
· Candidate’s age must be between 18 and 59 years. (Age 50 and above is evaluated on a case by case basis.)
· Candidate has additional medical conditions (co-morbidities) such as: hypertension, diabetes mellitus, obstructive sleep apnea, heart disease, pulmonary function abnormalities, gallbladder disease, hiatal hernia, GERD, chronic lower back pain, osteoarthritis or other medical conditions which may be alleviated by weight loss.
· Candidate must have made attempted weight loss using other methods. These attempts must include diets that were nutritionally and medically sound.
· Candidate must express a willingness to make the necessary changes in eating habits and a motivation towards weight-loss.
· Candidate must not have medical conditions which would make surgery or anesthesia unduly hazardous.