Among the key findings:
• Adjusted for hospice availability, winning or “benchmark” hospitals were 17 percent more likely to discharge terminally ill patients to hospice services than non-winning or “peer” hospitals.
• Benchmark hospitals had a nearly 18 percent lower mortality rate than peer hospitals, while patients at 100 Top Hospitals had 13 percent fewer complications.
• Patients at winning hospitals return to everyday life faster than those at non-winning hospitals. These patients were released nearly half a day sooner, on average, than patients at peer hospitals.
• Expenses per discharge at benchmark hospitals were 16 percent lower than peer hospitals ($4,147 benchmark vs. $4,950 peer).
• Winning hospitals pay more to attract quality staff. Salary and benefits per full-time employee were nearly 3 percent higher than peer hospitals.
• Benchmark hospitals treat more – and sicker – patients than non-winning hospitals. The median Medicare patient case mix index at winning hospitals was 22 percent higher than at peer hospitals. Benchmark hospitals also had 24 percent more admissions per bed.
• Winning hospitals use a higher percentage of special care days for their patients – 14 percent vs. 11 percent for peer hospitals.
• The cash flow to total debt ratio at benchmark hospitals was nearly 119% higher than peer hospitals.
The 11th edition of the Solucient 100 Top Hospitals: National Benchmarks for Success study analyzed acute care hospitals nationwide using detailed empirical performance data from 2002, including publicly available MedPAR data and Medicare cost reports. Facilities recognized on the list are represented across five hospital classes:
• Major Teaching - 15 winners
• Teaching - 25 winners
• Large Community, 250+ Beds - 21 winners (due to a tie)
• Medium Community, 100 to 249 Beds - 20 winners
• Small Community, 25 to 99 Beds - 20 winners
The study scored facilities according to key measures: risk-adjusted mortality and risk adjusted complications, average length of stay, expenses, profitability, growth in percent of community served, cash flow to total debt ratio, tangible assets per adjusted discharge, and coding specificity.
More information on this study and other 100 Top Hospitals research is available at www.100tophospitals.com. Additional information about Lake Pointe Medical Center can be found at www.lakepointemedical.com.